UFC NEWS: Dana White says Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir III likely next for both
By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief
UFC President Dana White on Friday denied reports that former UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar had asked for a bout with Roy "Big Country" Nelson. Speaking at a Q&A prior to UFC 122 in Germany tomorrow night, White said he had heard that Lesnar was looking to fight for the third time against Frank Mir. "He never asked for Roy Nelson, that?s not true," White said, in comments transcribed by Fighter's Only. "The last thing I did hear was that he wants to fight Frank Mir again. That fight kind of makes sense so? We will probably see Lesnar fight Mir next, I think that the rubber match makes sense." This comes despite Mir's comments earlier in the week where he stated that he believed Lesnar needed a win before he'd take the rubber match. Of course, nothing is yet set, but these comments show where White's opinion of the subject is at this moment in time. Link to Original Source Article Penick's Analysis: I really hope this is just one of those situations where White hasn't heard the whole story, and that Lesnar's camp has perhaps talked to Joe Silva, or Lorenzo Fertitta, or something of that nature. While a rubber match with Mir will definitely sell, and from a business stand point it would make sense for the UFC to put that fight together, I'd really like to see Lesnar fight someone different. I'd much rather see Lesnar-Nelson and Mir-Brendan Schaub, or even Lesnar against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Any of those right now would be more interesting than this third Mir fight right now.
|
Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_7513.shtml