OTHER NEWS: Zuffa cuts WEC lightweight Chris Horodecki following loss to Donald Cerrone

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

LogoWEC_150_146.jpg

Lightweight Chris Horodecki will not be making the migration from the WEC to the UFC. According to a report from MMAJunkie.com, Horodecki has been released by Zuffa following his loss to Donald Cerrone earlier this month at WEC 53.

The 23-year-old Horodecki went 2-2 in his four fight stint in the UFC's sister organization. His losses to Cerrone and Anthony Njokuani bookended wins over Danny Downes and Ed Ratcliff. The former IFL standout brought a 14-1 record with him into the WEC, but after the submission loss to Cerrone he won't get an opportunity in the UFC just yet.

But the young fighter remains optimistic about his future, and said he'll make his way back.

"One door closes and another one opens," he said. "I'll be back sooner than later"

Link to Original Source Article

Penick's Analysis: Two decisive losses over four fights in the WEC makes this cut unsurprising. The lightweight division simply has too many fighters, and a lot more will still be cut in the coming months. Horodecki will likely make his way to the UFC at some point, as he's still just 23 years old and has plenty of time left in his career to improve, pick up wins and make his way back to the organization. He likely knows he's got things to work on, and if he can improve in the areas he needs to improve, he'll get his shot.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_7960.shtml

Icho Larenas Bobby Lashley Joe Lauzon Mo Lawal

UFC NEWS: Brian Bowles vs. Damacio Page II coming to UFC on Versus 3 in March

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

LogoUFC_150_677.jpg

Former WEC Bantamweight Champion Brian Bowles appears ready to finally return to the cage, as MMAJunkie.com reports that he has agreed to a rematch with fellow WEC veteran Damacio Page at UFC on Versus 3 on March 3, 2011.

Bowles has not fought since losing his title to Dominick Cruz in March of this year. He broke his hand in the fight and could not answer the bell for the third round. He was supposed to meet Wagnney Fabiano at WEC 52, though was forced out of that return with injuries in training as well.

Page made a return from a lengthy layoff himself in his last bout, when he took on Demetrious Johnson on that WEC 52 card. However, his two fight win streak came to an end when Johnson submitted him with a guillotine choke in the third round.

The two met at WEC 35 in August of 2008, a bout Bowles won by submission in the first round. The guillotine choke win earned him a "Submission of the Night" bonus on that card.

UFC on Versus 3 is expected to take place from Louisville, Ky., and will be headlined by a welterweight bout between Diego Sanchez and Martin Kampmann.

Link to Original Source Article

Penick's Analysis: This is a good matchup, and while the outcome may not necessarily end up any different than their first fight, the year long layoff may work against Bowles much like it worked against Page last month. That said, with both coming off of losses, and the fact that it will have been two and a half years since their first fight, this represents a tough challenge for the former Champion as he'll look to work his way back to another shot at the title.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_7902.shtml

Yves Edwards  Justin Eilers  Jon Olav Einemo Per Eklund

No Location, No Problem: Dana White Stills Wants A Show In Afghanistan Despite The Bombing Of The Planned Site

Say what you want about the ufc and its always-controversial President Dana White, but both the company and the man have never been against supporting the troops. The UFC is set to hold its second ?Fight for the Troops? event in 2011, a special ?Fight Night Live? card held in front of troops and designed [...]

Source: http://www.fighters.com/12/30/no-location-no-problem-dana-white-stills-wants-a-show-in-afghanistan-despite-the-bombing-of-the-planned-site

Jake O Brien Naoya Ogawa Sean O Haire Yushin Okami