M-1?s Vadim Finkelchtein Calls For ?Strict Drug Testing? In Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix

When all the talk of a potential meeting between Fedor Emelianenko and Alistair Overeem was circulating last year, various members of M-1 Global voiced their concerns with Overeem’s suspected PED use and called for pre-fight drug testing. With Josh Barnett, Antonio Silva and Alistair Overeem now all participating in Strikeforce’s upcoming heavyweight grand prix, it [...]

Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/mmaconvert/~3/qBWiyOwe-Aw/

Shungo Oyama Fredson Paixao Soa Palalei Bart Palaszewski

UFC NEWS: Roy Nelson says legal issues with Roy Jones Jr. have been settled

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

NelsonRoy_150_33.jpg

When Roy "Big Country" Nelson joined the tenth season of The Ultimate Fighter, he was under contract to Roy Jones Jr's promotion, Square Ring Productions. Nelson had only fought once for the promotion, and had not gotten any other fights from them prior to moving to the UFC, so he felt he was in the clear.

However, that didn't stop Jones and Square Ring Productions from suing Nelson and the UFC in Nevada. And though Nelson competed several times for the UFC while the issue was on-going, the lawsuit was used as the excuse for keeping Nelson out of this month's UFC 125 event when Shane Carwin was pulled from the fight for back surgery.

But now, Nelson says the case is behind him, and he downplayed the UFC's issue with the case to begin with.

"All I can simply say is it has finally been settled, and we'll all just live a happy life because of the legal system in Las Vegas," Nelson said in an interview with MMAWeekly.com.

"There was nothing to worry about; it was like nine months old."

With that out of the way, Nelson turns his attention to a bout with former UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir, which will come at UFC 130 in Las Vegas, and he said the lawsuit did let him know one thing for sure: he just wants to fight.

Link to Original Source Article

Penick's Analysis: Thankfully for all involved it has been taken care of, and Nelson can concentrate solely on fighting. It was fairly clear the UFC was using this as a scapegoat when taking him off of 125, as they had already targeted him for the event, and he had fought numerous times already while this was already an issue. But, the fact that it's now done and over with means that it's not going to be a distraction for Nelson, not that it necessarily was before, but it completely takes it out of the equation. Now, he's just got a tough fight with Mir to concentrate on, and that will be a very good fight for the Memorial Day weekend card.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_8197.shtml

Igor Zinoviev Mark Coleman Maurice Smith Randy Couture

Matt Horwich fighting 15-1 Giva Santana in February

Unique middleweight Matt Horwich will put his grappling skills to the test next month against BJJ artist Giva Santana at a MEZ Sports show featuring both boxing and MMA set for February 26 in Riverside, California. Though ?Suave? scored a TKO victory over Jake Rosholt this past November, twenty of his twenty-six total victories have [...]

Source: http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2011/01/14/matt-horwich-fighting-15-1-giva-santana-in-february/

Matt Serra Jens Pulver Sean Sherk B J Penn

UFC NEWS: Featherweights Cub Swanson and Eric Koch expected to meet at UFC on Versus 3

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

LogoUFC_150_729.jpg

An exciting featherweight bout between WEC veterans Cub Swanson and Eric Koch is on its way to the UFC on Versus 3 card in Louisville, Ky. on March 3, according to a report from MMAJunkie.com.

Both fighters will be making their UFC debuts after finishing their WEC stints at WEC 52 in Las Vegas last November.

Swanson alternated wins and losses throughout his WEC career, earning a 5-3 mark overall in the organization. He picked up three victories from 2008-2010 that earned him "Fight of the Night" honors on the respective events, but an eight second loss to now Champ Jose Aldo and a decision loss to Chad Mendes were sandwiched in between those victories.

Koch, another one of Duke Roufus' proteges entering the UFC in 2011, will look to build upon consecutive first round victories to finish out his WEC career. The 22-year-old sports an 11-1 record, with the sole loss being a decision to Chad Mendes. At WEC 52, he picked up a first round knockout over Francisco Rivera to end his time with that organization on a high note.

UFC on Versus 3 airs live on March 3 from the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, headlined by a welterweight bout between Diego Sanchez and Martin Kampmann.

Link to Original Source Article

Penick's Analysis: This is a really, really exciting fight that may fall victim to the circumstances of the merger between the UFC and WEC. This fight most certainly would have been a main card fight on Versus for the WEC, but is looking to be relegated to the preliminary card of this event at this moment. It's an unfortunate by-product of the merger, because a lot of these fights and fighters are not getting the exposure that perhaps they should because of a number of factors. I think it will get better as the year goes on, but a lot of fighters will still be fighting off of TV when they otherwise would have gotten TV time with the WEC still around. That said, the winner of this fight likely gets a boost to television the next time out, depending on their performance, and this is a big fight for both guys against a talented and dangerous opponent.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_8110.shtml

Ivan Salaverry Sean Salmon Diego Sanchez Jorge Santiago

UFC still committed to bringing MMA to New York

UFC president Dana White and chairman Lorenzo Fertitta met with the press in New York City to make their commitment to the Big Apple clear. They announced via an online press conference that once MMA is regulated, the UFC will bring two shows to Madison Square Garden. According to studies from an independent researcher, those two shows would bring $23 million and more than 200 jobs to N.Y.

"By bringing UFC events to New York, the state will see a positive financial impact," White said. "The arenas will get to host major UFC events and local hotels, restaurants, and other businesses will attract new customers. They’ll look forward to the times we bring UFC to New York." 

N.Y. assemblyman Dean Murray was on hand to talk politics, and the process that had to happen to get MMA legalized and sanctioned in his state. He will try to sway newly sworn-in governor Andrew Cuomo to include revenue from MMA in the state budget, which will give it an easier path. He is pushing for MMA's legalization because he wants the state to find new economic streams.

"In today's climate, we don't need to be raising taxes. We need a chance to raise revenue," Murray said.

But one thing was clear throughout the press conference -- the UFC's biggest hurdle in getting MMA in the Empire State was not effective lobbying or discussions of economic impact. It's the need for education. 

White emphasized the process of education several times throughout the half-hour press conference, and then a reporter on-hand showed just why education about of MMA was needed, asking, "How will you regulate martial arts when you add in kicks and punches?"

White calmly pointed out that kicks and punches are part of MMA, one of the few sports regulated by the government, and that safety is always the first concern. 

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/UFC-still-committed-to-bringing-MMA-to-New-York?urn=mma-307253

Pedro Rizzo Colin Robinson Ricco Rodriguez Jason Reinhardt

Five fights to help you beat the winter blues

It's that time of year. The time when the holidays are over, the credit card bills are filling your mailbox and the snow has turned from a pretty white blanket to gray slush. What will help you through the long winter? People pummeling each other, of course! Here are five to savor before the vernal equinox on March 20.

Jan. 29, Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Cyborg -- Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza vs. Robbie Lawler: Brawler vs. grappler. Striking vs. submissions. Gritty vs. smooth. This match-up for the Strikeforce middleweight belt matches up different styles of MMA: the heavy hands of Lawler agains the submission genius of Souza. Though Jacare has showed improved stand-up in his last two fights

Feb. 5, UFC 126 -- Miguel Torres vs. Antonio Banuelos: After constantly bringing exciting fights to the WEC, Torres and Banuelos will bring the bantamweight brand to the UFC. There is about 0.0005% chance that this fight will not be exciting. Not to mention, does an epic mustache win out over an epic mullet? We'll find out.

Feb. 12, Strikeforce and M-1 Global -- Fedor Emelianenko vs. Antonio Silva: So many questions will be answered in this bout in New Jersey. How will Fedor rebound from his loss to Fabricio Werdum? Will the long layoff affect him? What will be Fedor's answer to Silva's size? Will the Russian guy who got away from Chrissie Moltisanti and Paulie "Walnuts" be there to cheer on Fedor? 

Mar. 5, Strikeforce -- Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum: He's made history fighting everywhere but Strikeforce, but will he Overeem able to get past the Fedor-slayer to get through the first round of the Strikeforce heavyweight tournament, defending his belt along the way?

Mar. 19, UFC 128 -- Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Njokuani: My legs hurt just thinking about this bout. Barboza won his UFC debut by piling up leg kicks on Mike Lullo. Njokuani has elbows and head kicks that can end fights. Don't expect this bout to last long or to be boring.  

What fights are you looking forward to in the cold, winter months?

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Five-fights-to-help-you-beat-the-winter-blues?urn=mma-304472

Paul Varelans Jovany Anaconda Varela Tony Vartanian Cain Velasquez

Pat Miletich Should Tone Down the Shilling on Showtime

by Michael David SmithPat Miletich is the best broadcaster in mixed martial arts at recognizing the action in the cage and explaining it in a way that's accessible to fans. There's no one as good as Miletich, a former UFC champ, at taking his experience as a fighter and applying it as a broadcaster.

That's why it's so disappointing that Miletich does so much to destroy his own credibility by shilling for the Strikeforce product, offering blatantly dishonest analysis designed to make Strikeforce fights and fighters sound better than they are.

Miletich's technical analysis was on display Friday night on the Strikeforce Challengers broadcast on Showtime, at least when there was good action in the cage for Miletich to analyze. Unfortunately, the rest of the time, Miletich overstated the quality of the fights and the fighters.

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/01/08/pat-miletich-should-tone-down-the-shilling-on-showtime/

Junie Browning Paul Buentello  Josh Burkman  Mikey Burnett 

Strikeforce's brilliant move: Overeem and his belt in heavyweight tourney

Scott Coker and company keep hitting home runs with his Strikeforce heavyweight tournament, yet there are some fans who are still complaining. Why?

Earlier in the day, Showtime's play-by-play voice @mauroranallo snapped off on some Twitter followers for the incessant bitching about the format and the participants. I don't blame him. Showtime and Strikeforce nailed this one and the fury over the bracket or Alistair Overeem's inclusion is mind-boggling. 

One of my followers on Twitter @mmafan84 sent out this tweet: 

Really? These fights were going to happen "anyway?" Strikeforce just went through a horrendous year of heavyweight matchmaking. This tournament seems like the only way to guarantee the fights that fans want to see will actually take place. Fighters are free to pull out, but that's on them now.

 

As far as the bracket complaints, who cares? Most fans have been clamoring for Fedor Emelianenko vs. Alistair Overeem and ripping Strikeforce for not getting the fight done. With Fedor and "The Reem" on the same of the bracket, and one less fight to get through, the risk of missing out on the fight is reduced. You cry for the integrity of the tournament, I'll enjoy Overeem-Fedor in the semis.

Update - It was reported earlier in the day that all Overeem fights would be five rounds. 

Showtime/Strikeforce also nailed it by not adhering to the stupid precedent that a tourney should be waged to decide who gets to face the champ.

Overeem, the Strikeforce title holder, has to be in the field. Showtime employed the same strategy with its Super Six boxing tournament featuring the elite 168 pounders in the world. Carl Froch entered the tournament with the WBC strap, lost it and then got it back. If he's good enough to take out both Glen Johnson and probably Andre Ward, then he'll emerge with the title later in 2011. The same goes for Overeem.

Frankly, any MMA media person or fan, who thinks it's smart to keep Overeem on the sidelines is insane. The guy fought MMA one time between New Year's Eve 2009 and New Year's Eve 2010. This tournament guarantees that Overeem gets fights in the U.S. In the end, that's great for MMA.

The only person who doesn't think so, is MMA television analyst Chael Sonnen. Sonnen crapped all over Overeem during a recent appearance. He's entitled to his opinion. That's what television is all about.

MMA Live is developing some of the best MMA analysts on TV, but ESPN needs to nail one or two polarizing, opinionated figures to match what the major sports already have on the network. Maybe Sonnen is that guy.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Strikeforce-s-brilliant-move-Overeem-and-his-be?urn=mma-303777

Bobby Ologun Andy Ologun Alan Omer Michihiro Omigawa