|
Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/Bellator/article_8286.shtml
Filed under: MMA Videos, UFC, FanHouse Exclusive, Videos
LAS VEGAS -- MMA Fighting spoke to Dana White at Wednesday's UFC 126 press conference about the importance of Silva vs. Belfort, his thoughts on the upcoming Strikeforce heavyweight tournament, the state of Japanese MMA and MMA in New York. and whether he is interested in talking once again with HBO.Source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/02/02/dana-white-discusses-ufc-126-strikeforce-gp-and-japanese-mma/
Source: http://www.fighters.com/02/01/roger-gracie-could-be-facing-jeff-monson-next-in-strikeforce
Randy The Natural Couture Dan Cramer Alberto Crane Marcio Pe de Pano Cruz
|
Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_8227.shtml

Don't tell Herschel Walker he's being ridiculous. The former NFL running back probably won't be swayed. He put together a borderline Hall of Fame career in the NFL without lifting a weight. Then he turned to an Olympic quest at age 29 and made a U.S. two-man bobsled team in the 1992 Olympics. His latest endeavor is a career in mixed martial arts. Now in typical Walker fashion, he said he's not done. His next dream is to return to the NFL when he's 50.
"I tell people I may even try out for football again and show people I can do that. I'd be the George Foreman of football and come back and do that one more time," Walker, 48, said on a conference call.
As he preps for his second career pro MMA fight, this weekend in San Jose against Scott Carson, Walker still believes he could clash helmets with athletes who may be 25 years younger than him.
"There is a 100 percent guarantee that today I could help a football team out," said Walker.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal pointed out that Walker claims he can still run with the best athletes in the world:
Walker said he was clocked at a mind-boggling 4.38 in the 40-yard dash after his MMA debut last year and that his time right now would certainly be sub-4.5.
The 1982 Heisman Trophy winner said it's just a matter of fitting a football comeback into his schedule.
"If I can fit it in my schedule, yes I would do it," he said. "I 100 percent guarantee today I could help a football team out."
Pretty strange, right? It's par for the course with Walker, who has a ripped body in his late 40s in spite of a diet that would make most doctors cringe.
"Most every nutritionist in the world has told me 'You can't do that. You can't do that.' And my thing is 'Guys, I've been doing this for over 20-something years," Walker said. "It's not something that I just started doing because I've was turning into an MMA fighter. I was doing it when I was playing football. And it works for me. I'm not going to say it's going to work for everyone else."
Walker said his NFL teams of choice would be the Minnesota Vikings or Atlanta Falcons. Since Walker's not dispensing advice to others, maybe we should all stop telling the legend to cross another sports hurdle in the future.
Charlie "The Spaniard" Brenneman hasn't broken into the mainstream just yet when it comes to his mixed martial arts career. The lightweight will try to improve on that image tomorrow night on the Fight for the Troops 2 card on Spike.
In an odd twist, he's actually had more success on Spike television than anyone else on this deep Ultimate Fight Night 23 card.
Brenneman was once a competitor on Spike's "Pros vs. Joes" back in 2006.
The former college wrestler competed against the likes of Darren Daulton, Herschel Walker, Kevin Greene, Dominique Wilkens and Olympic sprinter Justin Gatlin. Episode 9 of Season 1 was titled, "Could you outrun the fastest man alive?"
"He probably beat me by 100 meters in the 200-meter dash," Brenneman told the Canadian Press.
Brenneman bounced back in the football competition against Greene. That was good enough to help him win the episode. He went onto the finale with his brother Ben and won the Season 1 title. He won $20,000 and a Dodge Caliber. It turns out the car was more valuable than the cash.
With Brenneman relocating two years ago from his Pennsylvania home in Hollidaysburg to a spot in East Hanover, N.J., the car came in handy for driving all over northern New Jersey. He trains in Whippany with fellow UFC fighters, Jim and Dan Miller. He also works with Ricardo Almeida to south in Hamilton and occasionally trains at Renzo Gracie's gym in New York City. Throw in the commute back to East Stroudsburg, Pa. where he helps coach the East Stroudsburg University wrestling team and that's a lot of driving.
Brenneman is 1-1 in the UFC. He debuted with a win over Jason High and lost via second round TKO against Johny Hendricks at UFC 117. Tomorrow at UFN 23, he gets to show his progress against a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt in Amilcar Alves, who fightsout of Jose Aldo's camp.
If you're wondering about the nickname. Brenneman did his undergrad work at Lock Haven and got his masters from East Stroudsburg. He went on to teach high school Spanish from 2004-2007.

Nick Diaz put a licking on brawler Evangelista Santos, but the prefight wasn't engulfed by the champ's trademark trash talk. Diaz is genuine. Just because he rips most opponents doesn't mean that it's some sort of ploy to fire himself up or sell the fight. So when he was asked if not ripping "Cyborg" was a byproduct of maturing, Diaz answered with his typical brutal honesty.
"No, not at all," Diaz said (1:22 mark). "[In the past] I had to [expletive] with people. We had something between us."
Diaz said he respected Cyborg as well as past opponents like Robbie Lawler. That wasn't the case with guys like KJ Noons, Scott Smith and Frank Shamrock.
"That was that and now it's over with. Sometimes you get into some conflict and that's happened to me more than once, so now everyone feels as if I 've gone and matured or grown up or somethin, but that's just the way fighting is," Diaz said. "If you're going to make it personal, then it's really going to be a personal thing. It's already personal. The guy who wins is going to go on and make a lot more money."
Make no mistake about it, the "old" Diaz will return if Showtime/Strikeforce decides to make a fight against Paul Daley. Daley likes to fan the flames and already has his own bad guy tag after his exile from the UFC for sucker punching Josh Koscheck following their fight at UFC 113.
Diaz sounds confident that he'll be fine against the British slugger.
"I see myself putting punches on him," Diaz said. "Maybe him trying to take me down too and getting caught in a choke. He could run from me and I could run him down. I'll run him down and take him down and beat him on the ground. I could see that fight going a lot of different ways."
Diaz knows Daley's reputation as a one-dimensional fighter.
"I'm not really impressed with Paul Daley as a mixed martial artist," Diaz said. "He's got great standup and he's got good knockout power. I'm sure he knows what's going to happen if he steps in there and fights me."
He re-stated that he'll fight Jason Miller, but he needs to get paid a little extra if he's going to meet the 185 pounder at middleweight.
"This is hard stuff. I train hard everyday. I work more than eight hours days every day," Diaz said. "And they're harder than your eight-hour days holding a camera. It's different. You can't do this, what I do. I think that money talks."
There you have it. Diaz drops a little trash on all us media tough guys. He's earned the right to say whatever he wants. He keeps backing it up in the cage and putting on entertaining fights. Strikeforce hit a home run when it re-signed Diaz.