STRIKEFORCE NEWS: Roger Gracie vs. Gegard Mousasi targeted for April 9 event

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

MousasiGegard_SF150_8.jpg

Strikeforce still hasn't nailed down plans on an April 9 card, but they're still setting up fights for an event on the date. According to a report from MMAWeekly.com, one possible fight may see light heavyweights Roger Gracie and Gegard Mousasi meet.

Per the report, the two have verbally agreed to the contest, but no bout agreements have been signed.

Gracie would be taking a giant leap in competition from Trevor Prangley in this bout, especially considering it will only be his fifth career fight. But he's won the previous four, all by submission.

Mousasi would be returning to Strikeforce for the first time since last April, where he lost the Light Heavyweight Championship in a draining five round decision against Muhammed "King" Mo Lawal. But the 30-3-1 fighter has since captured the DREAM Light Heavyweight Championship with consecutive submission victories.

Strikeforce has remained silent on the event, outside of announcing earlier this month that they'd be running an event on that date; but a report stating the Heavyweight Grand Prix was being removed from this card have not been refuted, and it appears likely to be headlined by two title fights with Gilbert Melendez and Nick Diaz defending their titles.

Link to Original Source Article

Penick's Analysis: Man, this is a huge leap for Gracie. Mousasi's takedown defense is lacking, but Gracie's been able to get takedowns recently by getting in range and dragging his opponents down rather than shooting in on them. Mousasi's capable of sticking and moving in range with his striking, and he's extremely dangerous on the feet. I don't think this is the right fight for Gracie at this point, but that's not to say he can't shock people.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/Affliction2/article_8576.shtml

Mo Lawal Ruthless Robbie Lawler Eric Lawson Cung Le

'Bisping's a wanker' chant won't stop the Brit from relocating to Sydney after UFC 127

Michael Bisping is looking to move from Great Britain and open a new Wolfslair Gym.

Where can he move where the fans love him? You know the answer, that place doesn't exist.

Not to be harsh, but the British middleweight just rubs people the wrong way with his general disposition and trash talk before fights. Even 12,000 miles away from his home in England, he was booed lustily during his fight at UFC 110 in Sydney.

Bisping is back in the Australia's largest city and says this time he may not leave. The 31-year-old's wife is Australian and they're strongly considering making their permanent home down under.

"I might be moving Down Under but I'm not gonna kiss anyone's arse to do it," Bisping told The Telegraph of Sydney. "But for those people who wanna chant 'Bispin's a wanker', yeah, they can go and ... well, you know."

That's actually tame compared what he once said in Zoo Magazine about his last Aussie fight experience. According to The Telegraph, Bisping said:

"all Aussies can go %$#@ themselves."

Bisping didn't tone down any of his prefight rhetoric in ancitipation of his meeting with Jorge Rivera on Saturday. In fact, he appeared close to slugging the New England native during the post-presser staredown. Rivera appeared a bit shocked at Bisping's behavior and trash talk. 


Watch UFC 127 right here on Yahoo! Sports.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/-Bisping-s-a-wanker-chant-won-t-stop-the-Brit-f?urn=mma-325487

Keith Jardine Antoine Jaoude Steve Jennum Ryan Jensen

UFC 127 Jon Fitch on video blogs, Tweeting and fighting BJ Penn

Ariel Helwani from MMA Fighting caught up with perinenial welterweight contender Jon Fitch in Australia as he prepares for his UFC 127 bout against BJ Penn. Fitch who comes from a wrestling background believes that he is now putting everything together as a mixed martial artist whcih includes a more emphasis toward the finishing fights. [...]

UFC 127 Jon Fitch on video blogs, Tweeting and fighting BJ Penn is a post from: MMA Interplay UFC News

Source: http://www.mmainterplay.com/ufc-news/ufc-127-jon-fitch-on-video-blogs-tweeting-and-fighting-bj-penn-53559/

Tyson Griffin Karn Grigorian Karen Grigoryan Kendall Grove

Back in Russia, Fedor says he's probably not retiring

Minutes after a bad loss, don't take a man's words at face value. It turns out Scott Coker was right, Fedor Emelianenko sounds like he wants to fights on.

The former PRIDE champ, who suffered a vicious beating at the hands of Antonio Silva, told the Russian media that he still has some fight left in him.

"I rushed to declare my retirement out of frustration. I will fight more. Possibly, I will return to the [Strikeforce] heavyweight Grand Prix," Fedor told LifeSports.ru (translation via Cage Potato). "I am confident that I am capable of having a few more fights. I didn’t make any analysis yet on why I lost. I need to recover. I can’t see very well yet."

Fedor's coaches downplayed the loss to Silva. 

"Fedor is quite able to return to the tournament," Emelianenko’s striking coach, Alexander Michkov explained. "Everybody stumbles. This is not as terrible as everyone is making it out to be."

His Sambo coach Vladimir Voronov said Fedor is more motivated now than ever. 

"He has a hematoma, but it will go. It’s very good that Fedor still has his fighting spirit, he is ready to break everyone now," Voronov said. "Most importantly for him is not to have any psychological pressure. The loss will make him train with triple the effort."

Is there any doubt Fedor will be re-inserted into the tournament if anyone else gets hurt? That's a bad break for guys like Shane del Rosario and Valentijn Overeem. Strikeforce is paying big money and wants to get maximum bang for its buck. 

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Back-in-Russia-Fedor-says-he-s-probably-not-ret?urn=mma-322759

Heath Herring Branden Lee Hinkle Sam Hoger Mark Hominick