Soszynski interview: Brawling mentality takes smarts and a certain mindset

Shane Carwin's insertion into the main event at UFC 131 guarantees one thing, Junior dos Santos' opponent won't be running away if he gets drilled with some hard punches. That was a still a big question surrounding Brock Lesnar in his first fight back after the vicious loss against Cain Velasquez (Lesnar withdrew from the main event last month due to complications with diverticulitis).

It's tough to make a living in MMA without being able to take a punch. Krzysztof Soszynski, a grinding brawler in the UFC's light heavyweight division, knows that better than anyone.

Soszynski's a well-rounded fighter, but he isn't supremely talented. He often gets by on taking some shots and deliver more punishment back.

"I don't think anyone wants to get hit in the face. I just cover up really well. It's a mindset. I don't know how it is or how it happens. I have fun with it. If someone hits me, I want to hit them back even harder," Soszynski said (6:26 mark). "It's something that you're born with, not something you just learn."

On Monday, Soszynski's will was tested outside the cage. He got a call from UFC matchmaker Joe Silva that his opponent Igor Pokrajac was dropping out the fight. Soszynski wasn't happy.

"[After] a 15-week training camp, I just wanted to fight. I asked Joe Silva when he called on Monday, please get me a fight. I'll fight anybody, it doesn't matter who," said Soszynski.

Soszysnki was originally slated to face Aussie jiu-jitsu ace Anthony Perosh, then Pokrajac, a striker. Silva was able to lineup Mike Massenzio, but he comes from a wrestling background. Soszynski didn't hesitate for one second.

"I've been in the sport a long time. It doesn't matter if I'm fighting a wrestler, a jiu-jitsu guy or a striker. I'm looking forward to just going in there and having a great time," said Soszynski said.

The Canadian trains with all types of fighters at Reign Training Center in Southern California. Mark Munoz, a former NCAA All-American wrestler at Oklahoma State, is his main training partner and he also works with another good wrestling MMA fighter in Emmanuel Newton. Jason Miller was around to work his jiu-jitsu and a partnership with King's MMA doesn't hurt either. That camp is loaded with Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belts.

This is a big fight for Soszynski (26-11, 5-2 UFC). He's facing a smallish 205-pounder in Massenzio, who took the fight on short notice. Though the fight is a bit perilous.

Soszynski hasn't fought since November. With the down time, he had both knees scoped and surgery on his nose, to alleviate a breathing issue. Massenzio (12-4, 1-2, UFC) is a tough style matchup. If he can get Soszynski to the ground, that'll eat away time from the clock and nullify the Canadian's power on the feet. Soszynski is a minus-240 favorite on the Las Vegas boards.

You can watch UFC 131 right here on Yahoo! Sports

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Soszynski-interview-Brawling-mentality-takes-sm?urn=mma-wp3261

Renzo Gracie Rickson Gracie Rodrigo Gracie Roger Gracie

Watch today's UFC 131 weigh-ins (5 p.m. ET), Bonnar Q&A (3 p.m.) on MMAjunkie.com

VANCOUVER, British Columbia - "UFC 131: Dos Santos vs. Carwin" fighter weigh-ins take place today, and you can catch a live video stream of the proceedings here on MMAjunkie.com.

Today's festivities take place at Jack Poole Plaza in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and begin at 5 p.m. ET (2 p.m. PT local time). A Q&A session with fan-favorite light-heavyweight Stephan Bonnar precedes the weigh-ins at 3 p.m. ET.

In addition to the video stream, you can get live updates in our text-only results post on the MMAjunkie.com homepage.


Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/mmajunkie/~3/aJDiFop8ASA/watch-todays-ufc-131-fighter-weigh-ins-live-on-mmajunkie-com-at-5-p-m-et.mma

Thiago Silva Wanderlei Silva Marcus Silveira Aaron Simpson

UFC 131 weigh-in photos: An MMAjunkie.com image gallery

VANCOUVER, British Columbia - MMAjunkie.com was on scene for today's official UFC 131 fighter weigh-ins and captured images of all 24 event competitors. competitors.

Today's ceremony was held at Jack Poole Plaza in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Saturday's pay-per-view event takes place at nearby Rogers Arena.

Check out images of all the fighters, including headliners and crowd favorites Junior Dos Santos and Shane Carwin.


Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/mmajunkie/~3/00ZnDODnr64/ufc-131-weigh-in-photos-an-mmajunkie-com-image-gallery.mma

Gerard Gordeau Jonathan Goulet Wilson Gouveia Jason Grace

ROUNDTABLE: Who is in line for a UFC Bantamweight Title shot after Miguel Torres' loss at UFC 130? Hansen, Amadi, Hobaugh, Hyden, Park, Perez and Penick

Brian_Bowles_UFC.jpeg

Who might be in line for a UFC Bantamweight Championship shot after Miguel Torres' questionable decision loss at UFC 130?

RICH HANSEN, MMATORCH COLUMNIST

Brian Bowles is the most deserving candidate for a Bantamweight Title shot.  And I mean right now, today, before Urijah Faber gets his shot on July 2, Brian Bowles is the most deserving candidate for a Bantamweight Title shot. That he is buried on Facebook, as are most bantamweights and featherweights, irritates me greatly.

JASON AMADI, MMATORCH COLUMNIST

I went in to the Torres-Johnson fight believing that it was a definite title eliminator, and I still feel that way even though the judges awarded the wrong fighter the victory. Johnson is on a four-fight winning streak and has consecutive wins over Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto and Miguel Torres. Those are the two biggest names in the bantamweight division outside of Urijah Faber, so there isn't anyone else for the UFC to sell the pubic on aside from "Mighty Mouse."

ERIC HOBAUGH, MMATORCH CONTRIBUTOR

I think Brian Bowles, if he gets by Takeya Mizugaki, is close to a title shot. Faber should take care of Dominick Cruz in July at UFC 132, so this sets up an excellent bantamweight title fight.

FRANK HYDEN, MMATORCH CONTRIBUTOR

Well, I think Joseph Benavidez might be the choice. I know he's already lost to Dominick Cruz twice, but both of those were by decision, including a split decision loss in a five-round title fight almost a year ago. There's a lot of quality guys out there, it's hard to pick just one. However, I would go with Benavidez.

CHRIS PARK, MMATORCH UK SPECIALIST

This was one of the worst decisions I can remember. Miguel Torres clearly won the first two rounds against Demetrious Johnson and I also had him winning a closer third round.

When you consider that Torres now has lost a likely title shot against the Cruz vs. Faber II winner; it just makes the decision look even worse.

My choice would be to order an immediate rematch between Torres and Johnson himself for a shot at the UFC title on the line.

If Torres can put the record straight then the shot is his. If Johnson can actually defeat Torres convincingly then I wouldn't complain at him getting the shot.

Either way the judges have made a big mess here and taken away a real superfight between Torres and either Faber or Cruz leaving the fans as the biggest losers in all of this.

ANWAR PEREZ, MMATORCH COLUMNIST

The first obvious choice would be Brian Bowles.  He won his last fight since losing the belt to Dominick Cruz, and is still very near the top of the heap for the belt.  I feel he should be the next in line for the belt.

JAMIE PENICK, MMATORCH EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

Brian Bowles. His only loss came to Cruz in their title fight last March, and that's a fight where he broke his hand and couldn't continue. After making a successful return in impressive fashion against Damacio Page this March, a win over Takeya Mizugaki should earn him a shot at regaining the belt.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/roundtables/article_9518.shtml

Todd Duffee  Marvin Eastman  Stav Crazy Bear Economou  Yves Edwards 

Lessons learned from season 13 of “The Ultimate Fighter”

Thirteen seasons in, any television show is going to feel stale, and "The Ultimate Fighter" has not escaped that fate. The show failed to excite throughout its 10-episode season.

In sitcom-land, this is usually when a long-lost daughter with a cute child who has a sassy catchphrase is introduced. Unfortunately for the UFC, Brock Lesnar had no sassy catchphrase, as his oft-repeated "Are we chicken s*** or chicken salad?" only served to confuse his fighters, and didn't prop up the ratings.

With just the live finale to go, we can now look back at the season and see what needs to be done to improve next season.

Go with exciting coaches over an "important match-up." The Brock Lesnar-Junior dos Santos match-up was to decide who the next heavyweight contender. That alone made that fight significant and exciting. It didn't need the TUF build-up to create interest. Lesnar and dos Santos showed themselves to be nice guys, but nice guys don't make watchable television.

Luckily, the UFC has already remedied that with the selection of Jason "Mayhem" Miller (pictured) and Michael Bisping for the coaches of TUF 14. Both men excel at getting under people's skin and running their mouths, which makes for much better television.

Share more about the fighters' stories. On this TUF cast, we had a devout Muslim, the son of a Baptist pastor, a man who was going through child-custody problems, and another father who kept the picture of his daughter with cornermen while he fought. They came from a diverse set of backgrounds and regions, and yet we only caught a glimpse of what made them interesting.

Let us get to know them, and we'll want to tune in and and cheer for (or against) these fighters. Not only that, it will make fans more interested in the fighters once they do reach the UFC.

Don't do anything to the Coaches Challenge. The episode where the coaches engage in a competition that has nothing to do with MMA is usually a highlight. This season, dos Santos, a Brazilian who knew nothing about American football, defeated Lesnar in a challenge that centered around American football. Leave it as is, unless the payout to coaches and fighters is upped.

Bring back the fight-in bouts. Taking away the requirement that fighters had to fight their way onto the show took away the action-packed first episodes. Fortunately, Dana White has already said that eliminating the fight-in bouts was a mistake, and that they will return for season 14.

What other changes would you like to see for "The Ultimate Fighter?" Will you tune in next season? Tell us in the comments or on Facebook.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Lessons-learned-from-season-13-of-The-Ultimate-?urn=mma-wp2911

Kerry Schall Nino Schembri Fabiano Scherner Semmy Schilt

UFC 131's five-fight preliminary card to stream live on Facebook and YouTube

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

UFC_131_poster_180_1.jpg

It should come as no surprise, but the UFC will once again make every fight on a card available for fans to view with this weekend's UFC 131 card from Vancouver, as the entire preliminary card will stream on Facebook.

This marks the fourth straight event from the UFC where all of the previously-unscheduled-to-air preliminary card fights have been broadcast live through the social networking site, and it appears to be something the organization will continue to utilize for their cards going forward.

But they're not stopping there. For non-Facebook users, or those who want another easy way to see the fights, the entire preliminary card will also stream live on the UFC's YouTube channel as well. The event page is already set up with a countdown to the fights, and it's the UFC's first time utilizing that platform to broadcast live fights, furthering their reach into new media venues.

UFC 131's five fight preliminary card features a mixture of fights from featherweight to heavyweight, along with a few familiar names and plenty of newcomers to the UFC.

The Facebook stream will begin around 6PM ET at Facebook.com/UFC with the YouTube stream at YouTube.com/UFC, while the hour long Spike TV Prelims Live broadcast starts at 8PM ET and the pay-per-view begins at 9PM ET. The full card is below:

Main Pay-Per-View Card

* Junior Dos Santos vs. Shane Carwin
* Kenny Florian vs. Diego Nunes
* Jon Olav Einemo vs. Dave Herman
* Demian Maia vs. Mark Munoz
* Donald Cerrone vs. Vagner Rocha

Spike TV Prelims Live

* Yves Edwards vs. Sam Stout
* Jesse Bongfeldt vs. Chris Weidman

Facebook.com Preliminary Card

* Mike Massenzio vs. Krzysztof Soszynski
* James Head vs. Nick Ring
* Dustin Poirier vs. Jason Young
* Joey Beltran vs. Aaron Rosa
* Darren Elkins vs. Michihiro Omigawa

Updated with information on the YouTube stream

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_9557.shtml

Bas Rutten Tarec Saffiedine Alessio Sakara Kazushi Gracie Hunter Sakuraba

Junior Dos Santos dominates Shane Carwin at UFC 131, earns title shot

Junior Dos Santos used a stinging jab and punishing body shots to earn a unanimous decision win over Shane Carwin in their heavyweight clash in the main event at UFC 131. After a brief feeling by the powerful heavyweights, Carwin looked for a takedown but Dos Santos was able to defend. Dos Santos demonstrated great [...]

Junior Dos Santos dominates Shane Carwin at UFC 131, earns title shot is a post from: MMA Interplay UFC News

Source: http://www.mmainterplay.com/ufc-news/junior-dos-santos-dominates-shane-carwin-at-ufc-131-earns-title-shot-54804/

Gerard Gordeau Jonathan Goulet Wilson Gouveia Jason Grace